6.8.3 release schedule?

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Mar 23 09:42:57 PST 2005

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 01:04, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Roland Mainz wrote:
> > You mean approve&integrate patches ? I'd like to keep the original
> > approval queue stuff for the stable branch as I'd like to watch what is
> > going in...
> <snip>
> The other 6, I don't know enough about myself to feel comfortable
> approving on my own without looking at the code being changed a bit
> more, but I bet there are others on the release-wranglers list who would
> stand up for most of them.  (I see nothing wrong with the patches, it's
> my knowledge or time to read the code the patches change right now
> that is lacking here, not the proposed changes.)

I'll speak up for the ones I nominated:

Attachment 2174: Adds handling for another relocation type for Alpha chips
when using elfloader.  This has been in Debian's X patchset since roughly
forever.

Attachment 1828: Prevents the 'void' driver from segfaulting during server
startup.  Pretty much unusable without this change.  I've hit this segfault
myself, and the patch does work.

IMO both of those are trivial.

> With work on the 6.9/7.0 release starting soon, we need to find a way
> to make 6.8.3 move forward without requiring multiple hours a week on
> the phone for a whole group of people approving patches, if we want to
> be able to have 6.8.3 go forward without holding back the other work.
> That's dozens of people hours a week that can go to more productive
> tasks - not all will go into X.org work, but if even some does, it's a
> win over us all just sitting on the phone trudging through the patches.

I'll state this more strongly: if 6.8.3 requires lots of phone time, I just
won't work on 6.8.3.

My opinion is, 6.8 is at the point where if there's _any_ debate about a
particular patch, we should just reject that patch.  No phone time required.

- ajax