[Roadster] OpenGIS, wms, wcs and PDAs

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl
Mon Apr 4 04:45:24 PDT 2005

Op 4-apr-05 om 13:13 heeft Ian McIntosh het volgende geschreven:

> Hi Koen,
>
>> * Are there plans to have networking support in Roadster so it can
>> pull
>> data from webmapping server and webcoverage servers?
>
> As a first step, Roadster will be about GPS navigation, finding POI,
> and
> direction generation.  If we later add spatial data analysis
> functionality, I think we might want to make two separate applications.
> They could share plenty of code, but what I don't want to do is make
> one
> UI with the union of both feature sets.

SDA wasn't on my mind (yet), I was thinking of 'removing' the need for
local data when an online DB has terabytes of data. Think of apps like
keyhole or worldwind which get their data online and keep a (small)
local cache. I would like to have a DB with data running on my server
so roadster on my laptop (or pda for that matter) can pull data from
there and cache it in a local file store (db/file)

>> * What do you think of a GML [2] import/export feature?
>
> I'm all for it.  Is there much data available in GML?

Not that I have seen, but there are a lot of conversion tools
available. GML is quite new, but is being pushed as "The One Format" in
GIS land. When you have a bunch of .shp files lying around you can
convert them to GML and import those. The big players like ESRI are
supporting the OGC and it's standards. If Roadster wants to adopt a
fileformat for exchaning data (POI, map excerpts, routes) GML would be
one of the best choices.

>> An idea popped up: a 'light' version of roadster using sqlite and/or
>> GML files as
>> storage. Would this fit in the current design paradigma?
>
> Well, SQLLite doesn't support GIS and Roadster uses GIS.  It may be
> possible (and even desirable) to change how Roadster stores data and
> thus remove this requirement.  I may look into that later, or you can
> give it a shot now if you want (I'd gladly support your effort).
Having multiple backends (full blown GeoSpatialDB, general db and
files) would be a nice feature to have. Abstraction is most of the time
a good thing :)

regards,

Koen