[Roadster] usability, etc

Thu Sep 1 11:16:49 PDT 2005

At 09:06 PM 8/31/2005, Ian McIntosh wrote:
> > My display is 15", 1920x1200 so the fonts are quite small. They're
>
>I'm not sure the best way to solve this one.  Either we can scale
>everything up a bit automatically based on DPI, or we have multiple
>style options and include a "jumbo" style.

style options sounds good to me...
I think just making the fonts adjustable, without increasing the
lines for the roads, would be good

> > I think ideally it'd be nice to use the standard highway sign icons
>
>I'd love to do this.  And yeah, we'll probably have to infer this from
>the road name.  Easy for some like "I-80".  What other types of roads
>should have special signs?  "State highways"?

In CA, the freeways ("state highways" or "state routes") and major
roads have green signs, however Google just shows a white oval with
black numbers.

The state of CA has lots of info on signs here:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/signtech/signdel/specs.htm

e.g.
<http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/signtech/signdel/specs/G27-1.pdf>

<http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/signtech/signdel/specs/G26-1%20(English).pdf>

<http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/signtech/signdel/specs/G28-1.pdf>

Some counties, esp. San Diego, have LOTS of "county roads" which are
small highways (not freeways). For whatever reason, these have
different signs than any other roads or freeways.
I don't think it's that important though, but there can be confusion
as there might be a county road with the same number as a freeway or
state route.
Again, Google makes no distinction.

Google seems only to distinguish between Interstates (I5, I10) and US
Highways (101):
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=los+angeles,+CA&spn=0.116199,0.203359&hl=en>

Barry