[Roadster] Issues compiling Roadster on Mac OS X: mainwindow.c throws "parameter name omitted" errors

Matthew Vaughn matt.vaughn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 05:39:55 PST 2006

Hello, Roadsters.

I've undertaken to build Roadster on Mac OS X 10.4.4 but have run
into a roadblock (pun intended).

Just for reference, let me recapitulate what I've done so far.

My environment is Mac OS X 10.4.4. I have both gcc 3.3 and gcc 4.0.1
installed and functional, as well as all requisite headers,
libraries, and so on. I can usually get about anything to build using
my current toolkit. My default compiler is gcc 4.01.

Since Roadster is a GNOME 2.x application, I used Darwinports to
install (with some hiccoughs) GNOME 2.12 from source into /opt/local.
After testing I was satisfied that I had a functional GNOME 2.12
environment installed alongside Mac OS X, though scrollkeeper might
have some issues.

I checked out the latest Cairo from CVS, built it, and installed it
in /opt/local, which seemed to go alright. GNOME was still functional
afterwards, so there didn't seem to be anything broken by doing this.

I built and installed libxml2-2.6.23 into /opt/local. It was actually
already present via darwinports, but I decided to build it explicitly
so avoid any weirdness.

Next, I built MySQL 5.0.18 with the embedded server option and
installed it in /opt/local/mysql. The MySQL test suite ran
successfully, so I assume libmysqld will be properly functional as well.

I grabbed the latest gpsd source, built it, and installed it in /opt/
local. It worked fine and was able to talk to my GPS on /dev/
cu.usbmodem1811

After this, I installed gnome-common, which does not come with the
Darwinports gnome package, but is required to build roadster.

Next, I checked out roadster and tried to build it. I configured the
build as such:

./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/local --with-mysql=/opt/local/mysql --with-
gpsd=/opt/local

Now, the big Lebowsky.. "make"

make > make.log &

The process goes on for a minute or so then dies in mainwindow.c with
the following trainwreck of errors:

mainwindow.c: In function
'mainwindow_locationset_list_is_separator_callback':
mainwindow.c:506: error: parameter name omitted
mainwindow.c: In function 'mainwindow_on_window_state_change':
mainwindow.c:1391: error: parameter name omitted
mainwindow.c: In function 'mainwindow_on_expose_event':
mainwindow.c:1513: error: parameter name omitted
mainwindow.c: In function 'mainwindow_on_gps_show_position_toggled':
mainwindow.c:1534: error: parameter name omitted
mainwindow.c: In function
'mainwindow_on_gps_keep_position_centered_toggled':
mainwindow.c:1542: error: parameter name omitted
mainwindow.c: In function 'mainwindow_on_gps_show_trail_toggled':
mainwindow.c:1547: error: parameter name omitted
mainwindow.c: In function 'mainwindow_on_gps_stick_to_roads_toggled':
mainwindow.c:1552: error: parameter name omitted
mainwindow.c: In function 'mainwindow_on_gps_redraw_timeout':
mainwindow.c:1557: error: parameter name omitted
mainwindow.c: In function 'mainwindow_on_backbutton_clicked':
mainwindow.c:1769: error: parameter name omitted
mainwindow.c: In function 'mainwindow_on_forwardbutton_clicked':
mainwindow.c:1776: error: parameter name omitted
mainwindow.c: In function 'mainwindow_on_addpointmenuitem_activate':
mainwindow.c:1834: error: parameter name omitted
make[2]: *** [mainwindow.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Dropping back to gcc 3.3 doesn't solve the problem. Since nobody
building on Linux has reported this, my guess is (without looking
carefully at the code) that there that Apple's gcc4 doesn't like
what's being done here. Any suggestions about how to get around these
errors?

Matt