[Roadster] Development...now sent as plain text

Karl Bellve Karl.Bellve at umassmed.edu
Mon Jan 23 13:23:16 PST 2006

I am just wondering about the health of Roadster development.  I just
picked up a Nokia 770 which someone has ported GPSDrive to and I was
wondering if something better was out there and that led me to Roadster.

Is Roadster still being worked on?
I guess it uses the US census for mapping information but in my search,
I found two organizations that are trying organizing maps general use.
One is the OpenStreetMap <http://www.openstreetmap.org/> and the other
is MapServer Foundation <http://www.mapserverfoundation.org/>. I am not
sure if these two organizations are related but I am trying to read more
about them. OpenStreetMap is interesting in the fact that you can add to
their database by giving it GPS tracking information.

Anyone, I now have a new Nokia 770 and I am interested to see if I can
port Roadster to it. The Nokia 770 appears to have a nice development
environment. I also checked the mailing list archives and the mailing
list appears to be dead since November. From the archives, it appears
someone offered to port Roadster to the iPaq I believe. I am not sure
that went anywhere. Also, Ian is now in Argentina now without use of GPS.

So, is Roadster moving forward and would it make sense to see how it can
take advantage of the OpenStreetMap and MapServer foundation? All this
relates to whether I should work on a port to the 770.