[Roadster] help me help you

Forrest Loomis cybercyst at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 19:43:09 PDT 2006

Well, I first want to say:  Roadster looks amazing!  It is the absolute most
attractive gps program that is avaiable for linux -- free or not.

However, I say that purely from the screenshots, as I am completely
incapable of getting it to run.  I can compile it with the gmemchunk to
slice patch posted to the mailing list last month, but the GUI is
unresponsive.

Anyways, I have some time on my hand and would like to help out with
development of roadster.
Where to start?

I heard recently that there is some desire for roadster to be broken up into
a backend library -- libroadster? and from there making it easy to make a
front end in any high level language one would desire.
So... where should I focus my efforts?

Also have any thoughts been given to try and rally developers to the
project?  Maybe a wiki, where people could show how to get what is currently
done working, and what is currently being worked on and by whom.  It seems
to work for other projects, maybe roadster could get some help from it?

Anyways, I would like to see this project take off, or at least get to a
usable state.  It looks amazing in the screenshots, I guess its just broken
now?

I look forward to hearing from some subscribers.