[SCIM] skim compile problem and question about packaging

LiuCougar liucougar at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 15:16:02 PDT 2004

Hi

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 21:02:39 +0200, Klaus Weidenbach
<klaus.weidenbach at gmx.net> wrote:
> I am finally working on the build scripts to create SCIM packages for
> Slackware Linux and everything worked fine so far. ;)) I just got some
> compile problems with skim-0.9.3. I have added the end of the failed make
> output to this eMail. Hope you can find something there, or is it already
> fixed in CVS?

I think slackware must have Qt 3.2.x and GCC 3.2.x installed by
default. I did not have this kind of environment so I did not notice
this problem. I hope I have fixed it in CVS: please test it. If it
works I will probably release a bug fix version soon.

> I also have another questions, maybe bit off-topic. It's bit about static and
> shared libraries. Who says, or what are the reasons to use static libs. It's
> not about the difference or why to use them actually, I know it, more about
> if you should add them to release binary packages for a Linux distribution
> and so on. I am asking because I want to create packages for Slackware and
> add them to http://www.linuxpackages.net. First of all, because the over 6MB
> for just the static libs of scim is quite much to download always and so on.
> I am also wondering if it is necessary or wished from the scim developers to
> add the API docs to the packages, or is it okay to just leave them away?
> Or are these questions that relay on the philosophy of a distribution and I
> should ask there? Thanks for any comments also about this.

IMO, static library is not needed in the package. Or you may consider
to distribute it in a separate package.

Thanks,
Cougar

- Old Chinese adage