[SCIM] The install location of plugin modules

Ming Hua minghua at rice.edu
Mon Aug 23 13:48:37 PDT 2004

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the install location of the plugin modules --
imengine, config, setupui, etc.  I noticed that scim-lib installs all of
its plugins at
${prefix}/scim-1.0/1.0.0/{Config,FrontEnd,IMEngine,SetupUI},
while separate modules (such as scim-chinese, scim-uim) install at
${prefix}/scim-1.0/{IMEngine,Config}.

Is there some kind of API concern here?  It seems that scim-lib plugins
will change API more often than separate plugins, but I think if
scim-lib changes, all other plugins need to be recompiled as well.  So
why not put them all in ${prefix}/scim-1.0/1.0.0?  The current locations
make it hard to find an exact module, and it also make my packaging a
little inconsistent.

I may have missed some obvious reason for this, explanations will be
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

P.S.:  Please don't cc: me since I'm subscribed, thanks.

Ming
2004.08.23