[SCIM] Re: gtk IM & reset ...

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Dec 13 09:43:28 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 01:14 +0800, Zhe Su wrote:
> Hi,
>   But the truth is that not all imengines have the abliity to reset
> themselves. For example m17n lacks such features to reset an input
> context.
>   So I think the best way is to do not assume that
> gtk_im_context_reset () will always success. If the input context can
> be reset, then it will fire the preedit change signal to OOo to reset
> the preedit string.
>   So please do not reset the preedit string in OOo unless it got reset
> by input context explicitly.

The problem with this is that there's no other way to reset the preedit
string.  For example, when you're in OOo Calc, and you wish to use the
Tab key to move between cells, when the user hits that key, we need to
tell the imengine/LE to reset itself and clear out the preedit buffer.
The LE has no way of knowing that we've moved to another cell and that
the preedit string needs to be reset, so OOo has to do that with
gtk_im_context_reset().  gtk_im_context_reset() is greatly needed
functionality from a user's perspective so that things behave correctly.

If the IM doesn't support it, then the IM needs to implement
gtk_im_context_reset().

Email from Owen Taylor:
---------------
> And that no IM I know of actually implements gtk_im_context_reset()...
> (at least the IIIMF guys say theirs doesn't).

???

GtkIMContextXIM, GtkIMContextSimple certainly do. I can't imagine an
input method working very well without it.

Regards,
                                                Owen

Owen certainly believes that input methods need to support
gtk_im_context_reset(), and Owen is God :).  What keeps m17n from being
able to do so?

Dan