[SCIM] From a newbie: problems in running scim

Rodolfo Medina romeomedina at libero.it
Wed Dec 29 04:27:59 PST 2004

Hi.

I'm doing my first steps with scim, Linux Mandrake 9.1.
My purpose is to input simplified and traditional chinese.

After installing scim and scim-chinese,
I created the file ~/.i18n and put in it the lines:

GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8

as suggested in the "Internationalization in Mandrakelinux 10.1" mini guide.
Then I rebooted, did '$ scim', opened kwrite, did 'Ctrl space' and scim was
activated.
But when I open Konqueror I can't read the italian accented a (à) in the
names of directories;
besides, some characters in man pages are messed up.
Can anyone please explain how to avoid these unwished effects?
Are those lines in ~/.i18n proper?

Thanks in advance,
Rodolfo