[SCIM] how to activate SCIM in solaris 2.6 ( locale: en_US.UTF-8 ) ?

=?gb2312?B?bHRzbw==?= ltsoltso at tom.com
Mon Jun 14 03:13:28 PDT 2004

how to activate SCIM in solaris 2.6 ( locale: en_US.UTF-8 ) ?

I use solaris 2.6 english version in my company.
The workstation doesn't have Chinese locale installed, but en_US.UTF-8 is supported.
I add the Chinese fonts in the font path, then mozilla and other gnu i18n application can successfully display Chinese characters.
I want to use Chinese input method under solaris, however, install Chinese locale is not reasonable for my company doesn't get the warrant. Fortunately, I found SCIM supports Chinese input under en_US.UTF-8 locale, so I downloaded the latest version and successfully compiled it.
However, I can't activate SCIM under solaris, following is the environment:
1. no XFree86 installed, still use the solaris X server and dtlogin.
2. GCC, XFT, KDE3.2 and GNOME2.4 installed.
3. use KDE3.2 as the windows manager.

in konsole,enter following command:
$ export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
$ export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
$ export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
$ scim -d
$ kwrite &

then, I can see the SCIM panel in the KDE tool bar, aslo various input method can be found in the properties dialogue box. But I can't activate SCIM using ctrl+space in KWrite.

Maybe it is the XFree86 X server that use above procedure to register the input method but not the solaris X server, just my guess.

Due to lack of related knowledge, I mail to you guys for help.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the wonderful SCIM project,
Dennis