[SCIM] Re: Problems starting SCIM

David Oftedal david at start.no
Wed Jun 16 18:26:53 PDT 2004

> So my question is, have you installed scim 0.9 before?  And if yes, did
> you clean up you scim 0.9 stuff before installing scim 0.99?
>
> Ming
> 2004.06.16

Ah, I see! You're absolutely right. After uninstalling and then
reinstalling SCIM in the "C" locale and then reinstalling scim-uim and
scim-m17n, I was able to get it running. Thanks a lot, that really
helped me out! :)

I guess it's on to the next problem then: The command lines. I can't
find a single one that does what I need it to do, namely start SCIM with
all the input methods. I know about three so far:

=======================================
scim -f socket -e uim,m17n -c simple -d
=======================================

This one should never be used, because it enables UIM support in GTK+,
but disables everything else. Since UIM already has support under GTK+,
this means you now have two ways of using UIM and no way of using SCIM.

=======================================
scim -f socket -ne socket -c simple -d
=======================================

This one disables UIM and enables everything else. Surprisingly, it
seems to enable the UIM methods that use m17n, but not the most useful
methods.

=======================================
scim -f x11 -e socket -c socket -d

This one seems to be doing the same thing, only for XIM. It enables all
the available methods except for the regular UIM methods. Too bad,
because those are the methods I wanted to use the most.

In short, I don't know what to say except for "I don't get it". I can
get bits of it working, but I can't get everything working at the same
time. Perhaps you could add an -e all option that just autodetected
everything? Or actually, just remove it? :) I can't bring myself to
understand what the -ne and -c options do either.

-David Oftedal