[SCIM] Will SCIM become a part of iiimf project?

Hideki Hiura hiura at openi18n.org
Wed Jun 30 05:26:07 PDT 2004

> From: UTUMI Hirosi <utuhiro78 at yahoo.co.jp>
> > IIIMF will get ISO certification.
> >> WTO-TBT annex 3, local government can not release different
> >> standard from an international standard.
> > So distributors can't sell their products officially without IIIMF.
> Do you really think so?

You stripped the important context off and quoted quite partially
upon your translation to English....????? you didn't see the context
in original discussion?

This comment was in the discussion on seeking the effective way we
can bring "immodule for qt" to the widely available feature at that
time, when the project was struggling with no response from upstream
authors. The idea on this context was to make IIIMF depend on immodule
for qt, and have IIIMF to proceed to ISO, so that "immodule for qt"
would be accepted and available everywhere.
Local government in this context was Europe, and it assumes that
if immodule for qt become a part of international standard in chain
reaction, it would affect to a government procurement because of
WTO-TBT annex 3. so immodule for qt would be a part of upstream qt
for distributions to avoid maintaining two source bases, one for
government procurement and the other for other purposes.

I do not recall exact phrase straight out of my head, but I also said
in the mail following that, something like, this does not preclude other
IMs to be shipped with or used, nor force users to use IIIMF. By making
immodule for qt available, user can choose whatever IM they like.

> You don't need to say nasty things about other projects.

I absolutely agree. It is disgraceful to disparage other party
to promote your own.

By the way, whom are you directing this comment to?
Everyone? for future constructive discussion?
Sounds good to me.

--
hiura@{freestandards.org,OpenI18N.org,li18nux.org,unicode.org,sun.com}
Chair, OpenI18N.org/The Free Standards Group          http://www.OpenI18N.org