[SCIM] Issues of multi user server

yusuke at cherubim.icw.co.jp yusuke at cherubim.icw.co.jp
Sun May 23 06:23:50 PDT 2004

Hi,

> 1) A totally library based input method may get very large memory
Japanese have same problem too. However, could you use mmap'ed file to
share data between processes? For example, my conversion system Anthy
3.5MB dictionary file, it allocates 200KB for index data and 200KB per
a context when you activate it.
Anyway, I can agree to per user server. But I want input method system
to allow purely library based implementation which do not incur communication
overhead.

> 2) System wide input method daemon has many issues just like what you
> said. But currently I'm just considering if we can use per user daemon.
> The only issue to use per user daemon is how can we start (and just one)
> im daemon when a user first login to the system and stop the daemon when
> there is no login session available for this user.
How about using X's session management protocols? More simple way is to
connect X server at login and run until the connection goes invalid.

Thanks, I am happy to hear your opinion.