[SCIM] problem when using SCIM remotely via GTK_IM_MODULE and QT_IM_MODULE

Mike FABIAN mfabian at suse.de
Wed Oct 6 12:10:49 UTC 2004

Another problem when using scim remotely with GTK_IM_MODULE and
QT_IM_MODULE. Possibly related to my previous bug report, I'm not
sure.

I found the following bug with scim-1.0.1.

To reproduce, two computers are needed: "local" and "remote". The
machine "remote" is running a KDE desktop with scim (scim, *not*
skim!). The scim "keyboard" icon (GTK version) is visible in the KDE
kicker on the machine "remote".

When working with the desktop of machine "local", log in via ssh and
X-forwarding from machine "local" to the machine "remote":

ssh -X linux at remote

Try to use a GTK application with GTK_IM_MODULE=scim

GTK_IM_MODULE=scim gedit

The scim keyboard-icon in the KDE kicker on the remote machine
disappears now!

Activate input. The scim-panel appears on the machine "local". That is OK.

Type some characters. The window showing the candidates also appears
on the local machine. Everything appears to work fine so far except
that the scim keyboard-icon in the KDE kicker on the remote machine
disappeared.

Now close gedit.

Now use the destop of the machine "remote" and start konsole there:

QT_IM_MODULE=scim konsole

Activate input. The scim-panel appears on machine "local".
The candidate selection window also appears on machine "local".

Now start gedit again from the desktop of the remote machine:

GTK_IM_MODULE=scim gedit

and activate input. The scim keyboard icon appears again in the KDE
taskbar, the scim panel and and the candidate selection window
are also on the desktop of the remote machine (same machine where the
gedit window is, i.e. correct).

Now try console again on the machine "remote":

QT_IM_MODULE=scim konsole

Now it works fine again. I.e. to be able to use a Qt application again
with scim on the machine "remote", it is necessary to start an non-Qt
application like gedit or xterm which makes the scim keyboard icon
appear again and also has the side effect that the scim-panel and the
candidate window come back to the same machine again.

--
Mike FABIAN   <mfabian at suse.de>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。