[SCIM] Debian package preparation

Osamu Aoki osamu at debian.org
Sun Oct 17 11:51:47 PDT 2004

Folks,

As you may have hear, Debian package for SCIM and its friends are
packaged by Ming Hua.  I just compiled his efforts in preparation for
their upload.  While testing his packages, I encounter few questions.
I used:

 scim-1.0.1.tar.gz
 scim-chinese-0.4.2.tar.gz
 scim-uim-0.1.3.tar.gz

1. GTK_IM_MODULE

I think this is to select default IM mode for GTK.  Correct?
 "scim"  for SCIM as GTK default
 "xim"   for XIM  as GTK default

Also how do I find out each "right-clicked" menu list corresponds to
one of these name?

2. LC_CTYPE
It used to require LC_CTYPE needed to be en_US.UTF-8 for SCIM to start
due to the value of "/SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_US.UTF-8" in
~/scim/config .

 Is this still true?
 Any wild card capability "/SupportedUnicodeLocales = *.UTF-8" ?
 Can SCIM cnnect to terminal program under ja_JP.EUC-JP ?

3. XMODIFIERS
Why upper case for SCIM? Other programs are lower case.

  XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"

4. Starting

scim -s pinyin,rawcode,uim -f x11 -c gconf -d
GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" ; export GTK_IM_MODULE
XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM" ; export XMODIFIERS

Is this right?

5. Kterm
Above was good for GTK apps but for normal X applications, SKK was only
usable.  When ever I switch to UIM-anthy, Kterm (ja_JP.EUC-JP) frozen.

Is there known Kterm issues?

6. Multiple invocation issues
What is the issue with following action.
  * multiple times for a user from different consoles.
  * multiple times for a user from a single console
  * multiple times but each by different user

Thanks in advance.

Osamu