[SCIM] skim and Fedora Core 2

Jan Hefti j.hefti at hamburg.de
Tue Sep 21 16:14:07 UTC 2004

Hi Roland,

>Once upon a time Jan Hefti wrote:
>

>>Fixed file attached.
>>
>Thx very much, now it works thorugh.
>
>Some words to your german HowTo:
>Newbies would not know what to do with
>export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
>
>I solved it in a KDE 3.3 way:
>
>$ cat .kde/env/skimvariable.sh
>#!/bin/sh
>export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
>
>And for Fedora users there is no .alias, I added the alias-string to
>the .bashrc.

Thanks for the advice - the howto would certainly be better if it could
be used on more than one distribution, so I will look into that.

>And a last question abou the working skim: wenn I start an application with
>"CN kwrite" (for example), then the whole Menu of the application comes up
>with a fixed font which can not display ö and ä but which can display ü - is
>that normal? I get no error message in the konsole...

No, that is not normal. It sounds as if you are using a Chinese font
instead of a font (or a collection of fonts - have a look at
http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/kde-font-setup.html ) capable of
displaying a larger range of Unicode characters. Apart from changing
your font, another way to solve your problem is to change

alias CN='LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"'

alias CN='LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"'

You can also have a look at "Dialog: SCIM Globale Einstellungen" in the
online help of skim or my howto for a way to use skim without changing
your locale.

>Roland
>
>PS: The rpm can be found at
>http://www.personal.uni-jena.de/~p1woro/rpms/skim-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm
>It is signed with my gpg key 0x9ec54794a0091bf2 (I use this key only together
>with my private Mail or to sign the two or three packages I make).
>If you want I can construct an unsigned package.

Great! Thanks a lot for your work!

Cougar, I think it would be good if we could include the rpm in our
Fedora Core 2 Build downloads section, don't you?

Best regards,
Jan