[SCIM] Re: skim and Fedora Core 2

Mike FABIAN mfabian at suse.de
Wed Sep 22 14:06:04 UTC 2004

Jan Hefti <j.hefti at hamburg.de> さんは書きました:

> Roland Wolters wrote:

>>I played a little bit around with differen locales and tried several of them:
>>
>>LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8" XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM" kwrite
>>LC_CTYPE="ja_JP.UTF-8" XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM" kwrite
>>LC_CTYPE="ko_KR.UTF-8" XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM" kwrite
>>
>>Everytime I got another font in the menus of kwrite:
>> - with zh_ZN there was no "umlaut" but the ü, i was not able to
>> input any "umlaut"; the font were fixed and very small
>> - with ja_JP all "umlaut"s had been substituted by small black boxes
>> in the middle, i was able to input all "umlaut"s; the font were
>> quite normal (not fixed, normal high, not very well rendered)
>> - with ko_KR all"umalut"s are substituted with blank except the ß -
>> its not substituted and I am able to input it; the font is quite
>> normal, but different from the font which comes with with ja_JP
>>
>> To have a better understanding, I had amde a screeshot of the
>> different started kwrites. I hope you have an idea how that can
>> comes up.
>>http://www.personal.uni-jena.de/~p1woro/screenshots/20040922-kwrite-skim-screenshot.jpg
>>
>>And I do not think that it does not depend on the problem talked about at
>>http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/kde-font-setup.html
>> There they talk about problems with the fonts in the input-field of
>> kedit - my problem are the menu-Structure.
>>
> I still believe it is the same problem. Which font do you use for your
> menus? (You can configure fonts for different parts of the GUI in
> kcontrol.) I guess it may be one that does not physically exist on
> your system (like sans-serif or any font that you do not have
> installed).

I guess Jan is right here. If you use a generic alias like "Sans
Serif" for the menus, you will get a font which works for the language
of your current LC_CTYPE. It *may* work for other languages, but there
are no guarantees.

The Qt font-substitution setup mechanism only works for "real" fonts,
not for aliases like "Sans Serif".

In case of aliases like "Sans Serif", Qt also does some magic and may
also mix different fonts, but you cannot influence it with the
substitution setup. If you are lucky Qt automatically a good
combination, if not make sure to select a really existing font for the
menus and setup your own substitution rules with qtconfig.

--
Mike FABIAN   <mfabian at suse.de>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。