[SCIM] Upgrading scim-qtimm

David david at plm11.pl
Thu Sep 23 12:17:31 UTC 2004

I just learned "the hard way" that after you upgrade scim-qtimm you have
to reinstall scim-chinese (I guess it depends what ime you enter to in
SCIM by default - in my case it was chinese).
Without this - at least in some configurations, like mine for example
:-) - you will not be able to start applications using ime, including kdm.

This knowledge costed me half a day of recompiling all the kde. I
suspected the problem elswhere - the breakthrough was when I noticed
that after uninstalling scim-qtimm I am able to start console in kde and
many other applications. Running crashing thunderbird from command line
showed it stops when loading scim-chinese. Re-emerging scim-chinese
solved all my problems.

Hope this may help someone. I wish I knew that a few hours ago :-)

Best regards,
David