[SCIM] Re: From a newbie: problems in running scim

Rodolfo Medina romeomedina at libero.it
Tue Feb 1 04:24:06 PST 2005

Yukiko wrote:

> Rodolfo, you can find emacs-Mule-UCS-0.85RC3-1mdkYH.noarch.rpm at
> http://sourceforge.jp/projects/mdkjeip/files/
>
> I installed it and got both scim-pinyin and scim-anthy/skk working in emacs!
> It doesn't look like my kind of editor though...  Here's what I have on my
> system besides Mule-UCS:
>
> emacs-21.3-19mdk
> emacs-X11-21.3-19mdk
> CJK-emacs-4.2.0-7mdk (What is it for?)
>
> # We should ask the packager to send the rpm to Mandrake, don't you think? :)

Yes, it seems to work!
In my .emacs I put the line
(set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
as suggested by Mike Fabian, then installed the packages you suggest,
started Emacs with: '$ LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8 emacs', activated scim
with C-space and... voilà!
I could input chinese characters in Emacs.
I'm writing with Kenichi Handa from mule-ucs mailing list
because he says that maybe Emacs CVS does not need mule-ucs.
We will see. Meanwhile, excuse me, some more questions
(in the end I will send a mini howto):

1) after installing emacs-Mule-UCS-0.85RC3-1mdkYH.noarch.rpm
   Emacs starts very slowly, i.e. takes a long time (about 5 seconds)
   to start. Is it the same with you, Yukiko? How to avoid it?

2) how to install mule-ucs from the source package instead of from binary?
   I couldn't understand this from the README file in the distribution.

3) I started Mozilla with: '$ LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8 mozilla'
   but couldn't activate scim; why? Starting Konqueror with
   '$ LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8 konqueror' I could activate scim with C-space,
   but all characters are shown v e r y   v e r y   l a r g e.
   With Konqueror I composed and sent to myself an e-mail containing
   chinese characters, but then could not read them.
   Has it something to do with qtconfig?

Any suggestions about these matters?
Regards,
Rodolfo