[SCIM] From a newbie: problems in running scim

Rodolfo Medina romeomedina at libero.it
Sat Jan 1 11:38:30 PST 2005

Mike Fabian wrote:

>Probably you have used iso-8859-1 to encode the file names.
>Convert all those file names to UTF-8 if you want to switch to an
>UTF-8 locale. You can use convmv for that:
>
>    http://j3e.de/linux/convmv/

Thanks, Mike:

I downloaded and installed the package convmv-1.08.tar.gz,
but don't know how to use the convmv command because I don't know the 'from'
encoding:
in fact, to convert the file name 'cittàdellascienza' to UTF-8 I try with:

	$ convmv -t UTF-8 cittàdellascienza

, but it says: 'wrong/unknown "from" encoding!'.
The file name isn't actually 'cittàdellascienza', because the 'à ' is not
displayed;
and I manage to write it with copy and paste.
Another problem is that also inside files the 'à ', 'ì' etc. are not always
displayed.

Rodolfo:
>> besides, some characters in man pages are messed up.

Mike:
>I don't know how that works in Mandrake. In SuSE Linux manpages work
>fine in UTF-8, therefore I guess it will be OK in Mandrake as well.
>Maybe you have inconsistent locale settings? I.e. maybe you have some
>other locale variables set to non-UTF-8 locales? What is the output
>of the command "locale"?

That's it:

[rodolfo at localhost rodolfo]$ locale
LANG=POSIX
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

, but I remember it wasn't like this at the beginning, when I installed
Mandrake,
it was rather with 'en_US' or maybe 'en_GB' everywhere;
it became so after scim installation and configuration trials.
Any other hint?

Thanks indeed,
Rodolfo