[Spice-devel] Spice in Fedora Rawhide?

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Apr 23 00:32:57 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 08:58 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:28:14AM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> >                                          The next major problem is that
> > Fedora doesn't really accept "leaf" libraries (i.e. ones not used by an
> > application), so we need to get the fedora qemu to use spice, which
> > means we need to get upstream qemu to take patches for spice support.
>
> Getting upstream qemu to have the patches sounds important regardless, but
> I'm unclear on the first part of what you say here. Wouldn't any libraries
> needed for spice by definition be used by an application?

As gerd said, spice isn't really an app as such. Its just a library used
by another app (qemu). So, until the qemu used in fedora (which is gonna
be the upstream qemu) supports spice we'll have a hard time getting it
in.

> > This work is led by Gerd Hoffmann and can be followed in this list. We
> > hope to have patches that we can send to upstream qemu very soon.
>
> I think it'd probably be productive to have the existing (or a new) yum
> repository for fedora ready to go. It could hold the patched qemu, plus
> RPMs of nightly snapshots of the source. Does that make sense? It's
> something I could work on if it'd be helpful.

Once we land the kraxel branches and switch to the new qemu repo i think
we're stable enough for this and it would make a lot of sense to me.

> I don't see any spec file templates in the git trees -- do you have those
> internally somewhere?

We have spec files for RHEL, but things have changed enough wrt building
spice that I'm not sure they are all that useful.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a deeply religious small-town gangster plagued by the memory of his
family's brutal murder. She's a supernatural wisecracking socialite with only
herself to blame. They fight crime!