[Spice-devel] memory utilization about qemu/spiceServer

xuzhinong999 xuzhinong999 at 163.com
Wed Dec 1 18:47:55 PST 2010

I have a question about memory utilization about qemu/spiceServer VM.  I know when startup
qemu/spiceServer VM, i can use '-m <memorySize>' to define memory used by VM?

My question is :
1. is this physical memory size on Linux/KVM host?

2. If VM hasn't consumed all this defined physical memory, for example, the defined memory size
is 512MB, but the windows xp VM only uses 256MB, can the left 256MB be used by other VM?

3. From qemu source code, qemu process will call 'cpu_register_physical_memory_offset' to set
up physical memory via KVM. From this method, i think the defined memory is physical memory,
and it can't be used by other VM. Is this correct?

4. If this is correct, how can qemu/kvm ensure different VM to share memory? I know there is a
ksmd module to merge same memory page between linux processes. How about its performance? Do we
have other means to achieve that?

5. If i plan to modify qemu so that the physical memory defined for VM are in an region, for
example, 256MB - 1GB, and the memory is dynamicly allocated when VM needs? Do you think this is
feasible? Do you know where i can find related information?

Maybe this message should be sent to qemu forum. Do you know what's qemu forum website?

Thanks.

Bill