[Spice-devel] connection-URL for spice

Tiziano Müller tiziano.mueller at stepping-stone.ch
Fri Dec 24 04:22:38 PST 2010

Hi everyone

What do you think about having a spice URL (scheme)?
The idea behind this is that we would like to register a protocol
handler in the browser (or in the OS) to automatically start the spice
client based on a certain URL.

examples:
  spice://somehost:port/?password=sekrit&fullscreen=true
  spices://somehost:sport/?password=sekrit&fullscreen=true

Unfortunately I did not find a way to have the browser or the OS parse
the arguments before calling the registered protocol handler. Thus I
either have to code a wrapper around the spice client to do that job or
extend the spice client argument parser to accept an url as a parameter.
Since I prefer latter, I started by extending the Application class by a
url parser method and added a new command line flag '--url''.

examples:
  spicec --url "spice://somehost:port/"

Opinions? Would this be useful for others as well or should I rather
write a wrapper?

Best regards,
Tiziano

--