[Spice-devel] connection-URL for spice

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Thu Dec 30 01:24:02 PST 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 04:37:02PM +0100, Tiziano Müller wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 26.12.2010, 20:52 +0100 schrieb Marc-André Lureau:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Tiziano Müller
> > <tiziano.mueller at stepping-stone.ch> wrote:
> > > Hi everyone
> > >
> > > What do you think about having a spice URL (scheme)?
> > > The idea behind this is that we would like to register a protocol
> > > handler in the browser (or in the OS) to automatically start the spice
> > > client based on a certain URL.
> > >
> > > examples:
> > >  spice://somehost:port/?password=sekrit&fullscreen=true
> > >  spices://somehost:sport/?password=sekrit&fullscreen=true
> > >

> > spice-gtk (and spicy) is using this scheme:
> >
> > spice://host?port=123,tls-port=124
> >
> > It make sense to specify the ports as arguments, rather than in the
> > address part, since there is several connections which can use either
> > the normal or the tls port.
>
> Fine by me, but does it really make sense to give the client a choice
> whether or not he wants to use an encrypted connection if he gets the
> connection info to use one?

Spice has the notion that encryption is per socket, which is per channel. So
passing the ports as arguments makes sense because that's where you would pass
the encrypted channel list as well (the --secure-channels argument in the client,
and the tls-channel=<channel_name> parameter to -spice in qemu).