[Spice-devel] spice BSD/OSX client

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Jul 7 02:01:35 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 10:53 +0200, Attila Sukosd wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I thought I'll post an update on the Mac client. I have it up and
> running using the latest sources from the git dev. Event handler is
> doing select(), playback and recording is done with PortAudio, R and B
> re-swapped for peer_major == 1, and CEGUI is disabled since it caused
> a LOT of issues...

Epic. Can you put up patches somewhere? I guess this still uses X11 on
osx, right?

> So now I'm only facing a few minor issues/things I've noticed:
>
> 1. Video playback seem to stop after a few seconds, but if the window
> is moved around or scrolled the video playback resumes again for a few
> seconds. I've tried it with VLC, windows media player and flash video
> players (youtube). Also, sometimes only the center square gets updated
> but not the rest. It is not very consistent as sometimes the video
> plays back fine..

Weird. No idea...

> 2. Bandwidth usage seemed to have increased, with the v0.4 client ive
> been seeing 1-2MB/s for full screen HD video playback, while with the
> current one I've been seeing peeks of 8-9MB/s on a 100mbit network

Yeah, there has been some changes with e.g. the offscreen surfaces, etc
that probably needs tweaking to get back to previous levels. Once we're
feature frozen and have all this down we need to sit down and measure
and tweak things.

> 3. We didn't receive (as far as I'm aware) the linux firefox plugin
> for the client with our RH beta package, and Im not sure where to find
> it? I've ended up creating a launcher script, associated that with
> spice:// protocol in firefox and modified the javascript on the
> management machine to redirect to a spice:// address in case the
> plugin wasn't found. Not sure if this is the best way of doing it?

spice-xpi is not on freedesktop.org atm. I guess we should maybe put it
up, although i don't know if its generally useful for non-rhel
customers.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's an unconventional guerilla shaman plagued by the memory of his family's
brutal murder. She's a virginal junkie pearl diver on the trail of a serial
killer. They fight crime!