[Spice-devel] Spice flash redirection

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Jun 21 02:36:43 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 14:17 -0400, Steven Harms wrote:
> In thin client deployments, recently there has been some work around
> with flash redirection in the proprietary systems.  I would like to
> start working on a similar system for Spice, and was looking for
> input.  My thought would be to make a browser modification that
> intercepts the swf on the vm, and forwards that data to the spice
> client that would embed the flash player and just launch the swf there
> on the client.
>
> Good approach, horrible idea?

I think this will be very hard. The flash plugin integrates quite deeply
with the browser (for sizeing, positioning, clipping, DOM integration,
etc) and the browser will be running in the guest OS, not on the client.

Furthermore such deep interaction with the client is not suitable to the
spice protocol, because it must handle e.g. the client terminating or
the guest being migrated to another machine. In this model a lot of
important state is being stored in the client and not in the server and
this doesn't nicely handle situations like that.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's an old-fashioned playboy astronaut possessed of the uncanny powers of an
insect. She's a cold-hearted nymphomaniac journalist with someone else's
memories. They fight crime!