[Spice-devel] autoconf for slirp

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Sun Mar 28 04:30:57 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 09:03 +0300, Yonit Halperin wrote:
> On 03/26/2010 11:45 AM, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 10:25 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> >> this is quick and dirty, and not completely tested yet, but it
> makes
> >> my life a little bit easier, since I
> >> don't install stuff in /usr ever.
> >
> > I took this, cleaned it up and made it pass distcheck and commited.
> >
> > However, whats the general deal with us maintaining a copy of the
> slirp
> > code from qemu? That code is in turn a cut and paste from an already
> > existing (autoconf-using) upstream library at:
> >
> >    http://slirp.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Why are we not using that? And if we have good reasons, why don't we
> > call our copy something that does not conflict with the original
> > package?
> >

> It is not the same as the upstream code. The main change: the original
>
> code transfers the application layer of the packets to its destination
>
> by using BSD sockets. We changed it to use a general interface for
> socket, so we can use it to pass the packets to spice (tunnel
> channel).
> No problem to change the name of the package...

How extensive is the changes? Could they be made such that its just a
patch to the upstream version, supporting both BSD sockets and a generic
interface?

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a scarfaced bohemian shaman on his last day in the job. She's an
enchanted gypsy nun who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient
Egyptian queen. They fight crime!