[Spice-devel] autoconf for slirp

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Mar 31 01:01:26 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 08:52 +0300, Yonit Halperin wrote:
> On 03/28/2010 02:30 PM, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >> makes

> commited.

> >> slirp
> already

> we
> >>>

> >> It is not the same as the upstream code. The main change: the
> original
> >>
> >> code transfers the application layer of the packets to its
> destination
> >>
> >> by using BSD sockets. We changed it to use a general interface for
> >> socket, so we can use it to pass the packets to spice (tunnel
> >> channel).
> >> No problem to change the name of the package...
> >
> > How extensive is the changes? Could they be made such that its just
> > patch to the upstream version, supporting both BSD sockets and a
> generic
> > interface?
> >

> http://slirp.sourceforge.net/ wasn't updated since 2006.
> The changes are not minor and they also contain additions/fixes that
> were preformed in Qemu. If in the future we decide that the network
> redirection solution is part of spice, we should discuss how to handle

Well, we could ask them, maybe we can just take over as upstream? I
dunno, i have not looked at slirp in detail.

> the Slirp issue and we can try to revive this project, though its
> original aim is different than ours. For now, since network
> redirection
> is not a top priority feature, we can insert ifdefs to the tunnel
> worker, remove for now the dependency on slirp, till we continue with
> this feature.

This sounds like an excellent short-term solution!

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a lonely neurotic firefighter on the edge. She's a manipulative
kleptomaniac mechanic with the soul of a mighty warrior. They fight crime!