[Spice-devel] ac97 sound and windows guests

Axel Kittenberger axel.kittenberger at univie.ac.at
Wed May 5 13:31:24 PDT 2010

Dear spice-developers,

recently the kvm list pointed me to spice, since for my task I had to
have to 2 monitors from the VM available. spice seems to be the only way
to do it (beside virtualbox).

I downloaded the 0.4.0 releasae, build all the stuff, and after some
usual issues with package versions it all runs quite well. I even
managed to configure a x-session only consisting of a full screened
spiece-client for two monitors. Well actually I tried windows 7 64 bit
as guest first, but realised its too early for that, so I went for 32bit.

The only issue I've is with sound, I just am not able to get it to work.
The AC97 driver of windows 7 (I downloaded the one from realtek, as win7
doesn't seem to have a native one) just wont be able to get to "start"
it. So why I'm writing to spice-devel instead of kvm: first im still
confused about how sound should be handled, does it get through spicec
already? Or is this planned for a later release and yet we're supposed
to use qemus native sound support. The second is, I tried to configure
another HW emulation, like some qemu/kvm posts tell people with ac97
driver problems to do, but the qemu ./configure --help in the vdesktop
directory tells me there is only AC97 available, while traditionally
there should be more options.

Gladly would appreciate your help, otherwise I like spice ;-)

Kind regards,
Axel