[Spice-devel] cannot boot from virtio / no -qxl option

Frédéric Grelot fredericg_99 at yahoo.fr
Wed May 19 01:10:30 PDT 2010

----- Mail original -----
> Hi,
>
> > -when the disk is set to "virtio", I can install F13, but boot fails
> > (at bios stage). When I set it to IDE then, it starts OK
>
> Upstream qemu simply doesn't support that (yet).

I'm quite surprised, I have others vms (running with "normal" qemu from virt-preview repo for F13), that boot without problem, and I think their main disk is virtio... I'm not sure however and can't check this right now... (and it's more likely that you are right...)
Anyway the easiest solution would be to have a 500Mb/1Gb disk for /boot (+grub), IDE, and everything else on a virtio disk I imagine.

> There have been seabios patches floating around which should fix this
> though, so this should improve soon.

OK, good

> > -when I use "-vga qxl", f13 loads the non-graphical part (blue
> > progress bar), but X doesn't start. Instead, I just get a blinking
> > cursor at the top left corner...
>
> Try installing xorg-x11-drv-qxl.

I did'nt mentionned that I did install it, and, instead of being still, the cursor was just blinking...
What I need to do now is set up the network services, connect by ssh to the guest when it is locked at this stage, and have a look at its X's log files.
However, my last "yum update" failed (network got broken in the middle, and I was doing it remotely, which was not a good idea), so I'm afraid I'll have to set up the whole guest again. I'll do that with the 1Gb IDE boot disk and tell you the results...

> > I also noticed that the "-qxl 1" option does not work anymore, is
> > that normal?
>
> It has been replaced by -vga qxl

Ok, and I think  that, if I want multiple qxl devices, I just have to use it several times, just like any other video device!

Thanks for your help, and for your progess in making it more compatible with upstream qemu : being able to manage my spice instance with libvirt spares me lot of pain!
If anybody's interested with the mentionned wrapper script, I could post it here.

Frederic.