[Spice-devel] Spice install problem

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed May 26 12:11:43 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 12:33 -0500, Brian Milliron wrote:
> > I don't know how the kvm/kernel stuff of vdesktop is set up really, but
> > i think your problem is that the kernels you're using are not compatible
> > somehow. Possibly because the rhel kernel you're using already has kvm
> > backports in it. Have you tried to not get the new kernel source (i.e.
> > act as if you had a new kernel).
>
> No and I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

You quoted this:

 > In case of an older kernel (version <  2.6.30)
 > Get kernel sources using the following git repository:

Obviously the version numbers involved here (2.6.30) refer to upstream
versions. Whats in the centos kernel is quite different than any
upstream kernel versions. So, try following the instructions as if you
had a >= 2.6.30 version and see if that works.

> > Personally i never built the kernel part of vdesktop as the kvm modules
> > were always availible on the kernels I was running already.
> >

> Is the vdesktop optional then?  I really don't even understand what
> vdesktop is supposed to do.

vdesktop is a module that contains several things, its got kernel
modules for kvm, some kvm userspace library and an old copy of qemu-kvm
modified to use spice. With a recent kernel you don't need anything but
the qemu part.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's an ungodly zombie ex-con on the wrong side of the law. She's an elegant
gypsy socialite from a family of eight older brothers. They fight crime!