[Spice-devel] qxldd.dll caused windows xp crash

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Wed Nov 24 01:50:31 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 04:04:22PM +0800, Coolper Chen wrote:
> I get a problem when running windows xp with qxl,the detail messages
> from windows xp are(on blue screen):
>
> Technical information:
> *** STOP: 0x0000008E(0xC0000005,0xBF9D4DFA,0xEFF759D4,0x00000000)
>
> ***     qxldd.dll - Address BF9D4DFA base at BF9D3000, DateStamp
> 4ca37851
>
> Can somebody give me a sugguestion that how to locate the problem line
> in source code?
> Thanks.

You can add '-global qxl.guestdebug=1 -global qxl.debug=1' to qemu, it might give some more messages.

To debug you need another windows vm and to connect both via a serial device, something like:
 -serial tcp:localhost:9600
 (put this on the debugging machine)

On the target (machine that crashes) machine:
 -serial tcp::9600,server,nowait

(so it will work regardless of debugging machine up or not)
You need to start the target machine first.

Then you can use windbg in the debugging machine (it doesn't have to use spice), you start the target, then the debugging machine, launch windbg, attach to remote (choose COM1, 115200 iirc), and when the target machine gets into bluescreen you will have a debugger attached and be able to examine stack, memory etc.

You should also build qxldd with debugging symbols (I don't remember of the top of my head but generally you just need the winddk to build, any recent version will do, and there is a DEBUG flag or something, needs some editing to the batch files that call nmake. The repository is at git://git.freedesktop.org/git/spice/win32/qxl).