[Spice-devel] [Qemu-devel] RFC: usb redirection over the network, interesting outside of spice?

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Mon Nov 29 03:50:31 PST 2010

   Hi,

> The idea here is that a usb device connected to machine a, will be
> available for use by the guest os running on host b (machine b).
>
> I'm working on this because it is something which we want / need
> for spice. I'm wondering if there is interest in this outside
> of spice ?

Sure.  The idea to support usb forwarding over vnc comes up now and
then.  Also having a standalone app is probably useful for testing and
development and maybe logging the communication between guest OS and device.

> I'm asking because at this moment in time the redirection support
> can probably be written in a way which abstracts the transport channel
> quite easily, allowing use outside of spice.

Yes, I think we certainly want to do that.  I think on the qemu side we
want plumbing into chardev and spice, maybe also vnc.  On the client
side a library (building on top of libusb?), a standalone app and
support in spice client and maybe gtk-vnc would be good I think.

cheers,
   Gerd