[Spice-devel] [Qemu-devel] RFC: usb redirection over the network, interesting outside of spice?

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Mon Nov 29 09:49:11 PST 2010

On 11/29/2010 11:37 AM, Attila Sukosd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess it should be abstract enough to support multiple back-ends, be
> it a kernel driver or through libusb?

Is this something that should just live in libusb?

If what libusb presented QEMU was actually implemented as USB-over-IP,
QEMU wouldn't know the difference at all.  I think it would also be very
useful to be able for libusb-based applications to work with remote devices.

What is unclear to me is what role QEMU would play in setting up remove
USB-over-IP devices.  Pushing it down to the libusb layer completely
takes QEMU out the picture which creates a clean separation layer.
There are emulated devices in QEMU which we create and control and then
there are passthrough devices that QEMU doesn't have any role in creating.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori