[Spice-devel] Spice and HTPC

Kurt Neufeld kneufeld at burgundywall.com
Sat Oct 9 03:58:23 PDT 2010

Hi there,

I've been running a Linux firewall and file server at home for over ten years now and it's always worked great. A few years ago I converted my monolithic server into 3 virtual servers, the firewall, internal server (file server, backups, etc) and an external server (web, mail, etc).

A few months ago I decided I wanted a home theatre pc (HTPC) but instead of running a second computer I just got a nice case and moved my box into the living room. Now this all works and everything but it would be much nicer if the HTPC functionality was separated from the Linux host server.

So my question is, can Spice enable a guest HTPC with reasonable performance (probably running XBMC) but display full screen movies on the host?

I'd like to have the separate HTPC so that I can independently upgrade the software, try different drivers (radeon vs fglrx although in a guest this is probably non-applicable) etc without affecting my host and therefore the other three virtual machines.

Thanks,
Kurt