[Spice-devel] virtio-serial question

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Thu Sep 2 06:00:40 PDT 2010

----- "Vasiliy G Tolstov" <v.tolstov at selfip.ru> wrote:

> Hello. Can somebody provide minimal example code that using
> virtio-serial to communicate with guest os? (work on guest side and
> hypervisor side)

This is a qemu question, spice just uses virtio-serial. I think
you can find info at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtioSerial

programmatically it's just a file, in both linux and windows driver implementation.
Under linux it exists at /dev/virtio-ports/X or at /dev/vport0p0 for first port on first virtio-serial device,
under windows it is available as \\\\.\\X or via setupapi (you can see the code to get to it from setupapi in vdagent on cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/win32/vdagent, will be replaced with using the symbolic link eventually).