[Spice-devel] leaking drawables

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Sep 6 14:40:53 PDT 2010

I've been tracking the "out of memory" issue. i.e. we seem to be getting
these to often. And it seems we might be leaking resources.

I modified the driver and the server to print Drawables as they are
freed. In one run there were several instances of the server releasing a
drawable. I.E. in free_red_drawable we call release_resource, but the
corresponding resource is never seen in ReleaseOutput.

This happens for several consecutive resource releases. Looking at what
actually gets released by the driver we see that the resources are freed
in the same order as they were release, its just that a chunk of
resources are missing here and there.

To me this sounds like a race, and we know there are threadsafety issues
in the win32 driver. For instance, we might be racing over reading the
release ring, thus missing one list of items to free.

Unfortunately I don't have time to look into this until thursday. Maybe
someone else want to take a look before then?

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a one-legged hunchbacked cyborg fleeing from a secret government
programme. She's a green-fingered Buddhist research scientist trying to make a
difference in a man's world. They fight crime!