[Spice-devel] [announce] alpha glib/gtk client library + app.

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Thu Sep 30 13:18:52 PDT 2010

On 09/30/10 20:41, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 14:48 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
>> More later...
>
> Bit more before I disappear:
>
> why do you have a spice_channel_destroy()? Its a gobject, just unref it.

spice_channel_destroy actually just does a unref (+ debug printf) now.
Used to be different.  I'm new to gobject programming, so I didn't got
everything right from start.

> I don't like that you have three libs. We've learned this lesson in
> gnome by now: It seems that splitting things up into small separate
> libraries is a good thing, but in practice its problematic because of
> the per-library overhead in things like symbol resolving (one extra
> lookup per item in the link list, for all symbols).
>
> So, at a minimum, combine libspice-client-pulse and libspice-client-gtk.
> Although i'm not really sure we need the separate non-ui library
> either...

gtk drags *tons* of stuff.

# ldd spicy | wc -l
64
# ldd snappy | wc -l
23

So I think keeping the non-gui (actually protocol parsing and software
rendering)  bits separate looks useful to me.  Having gtk+sound separate
probably doesn't make that much sense as you likely either use both or
none of them ...

cheers,
   Gerd