[Spice-devel] [announce] alpha glib/gtk client library + app.

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Sep 30 14:00:47 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 22:22 +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> If this is the plan we need to ensure that
> >> the APIs and implementations are not tied to tightly to unix.
> >
> > I have some X11 MIT-SHM bits in there for performance reasons, that
> > needs to be #ifdef'ed and have a alternative (generic cairo/pixman
> > based?) implementation for !x11 platforms. Other that that there should
> > be nothing major. glib helps alot here.
>
> Oh, and while talking about windows:  The windows client has the gdi
> renderer, how does that compare to the sw one performance-wise?

I don't actually know. I guess its hardware accelerated. On the other
hand, the operations spice does are hardly expensive on todays cpus.
Maybe its better to drop it in favour of a consistant behaviour and less
code to maintain. Needs some profiling though.

Actually i think all GDI stuff is software only in vista, but i think
they added back some acceleration in win7.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a hate-fuelled flyboy cop on the run. She's a radical red-headed research
scientist from aristocratic European stock. They fight crime!