[Spice-devel] confusion of new user

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 13:28:51 PDT 2011

Hi,

I've just found out about the Spice project and had some trouble
wrapping my brain around it (as a user):

My main question was -- can I run Win32 guest on i686 host (apparently
the answer is "no, but you can run win32 guest on x64 host"). It would
be nice if you could add that to the FAQ.

While trying to figure it out, I found on the FAQ page that there is no
32bit server but there is a 32bit client -- and here's another confusion:
There's a "Spice server" and "Spice client" -- since it's portrayed as
an "alternative" to VNC in libvirt GUI, I immediately thought that just
like VNC, Spice server runs on the guest OS and the client -- on the
host OS.
Maybe it would would be easier to digest if they were named a bit more
consistently with Host/Guest nomenclature :)

HTH,

~Konstantin