[Spice-devel] Question about Spice and Display Channel

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Wed Aug 3 14:12:21 PDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 08:33:51PM +0200, Andrea Celestino wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to try to implements a new channel dedicated to streaming
> video. It's only an experiment, I don't know if this can bring an
> improvement.
> I would like to know some guidelines for implementing this channel. In
> spice every channel is a different socket and on the client side is a
> different thread. What I need to do is to create this new socket, and

The thread per channel is a spicec detail, not true for spice-gtk.

> every time a video stream is detected I will send the data in this new
> channel instead of display channel.
> Is there something I need to take into account with this work? Any
> suggestions are accepted.

client side: Just take care for having rendering done from two different
threads (for spicec) or just two different ""contexts"" in the case of
spice-gtk

server side: not much different I guess, yet another channel for the
red_worker to handle. If you can avoid adding code (or minimize added code)
to red_worker.c you get more points.