[Spice-devel] Performance over VPN

Ian Barron ian at roqc.no
Tue Dec 20 02:23:20 PST 2011

Hi ,

We are trying Spice as a potential solution for remote access to a VM. (to
replace VNC and NX).

The current installation is :-

Host:  Fedora 16

Guest (VM): CentOS 5.7

Qemu-kvm :  0.15.1

Spice : 0.10.0

Clients:

Windows 7 64 :

spice-client-win32-0.6.3.zip

spice_libs_win32_063_and_earlier.zip

Linux:

spice-0.10.0.tar.bz2

spice-protocol-0.10.0.tar.bz2

Performance over the LAN is everything we had hoped for. Our problem comes
with performance (or lack of it) over VPN.  With traffic over VPN (even with
latency under 20ms) the client is so slow and with such a delay that it is
almost impossible to control the mouse.

I've tried digging in the archives and only found a very old reference to

Can anyone suggest what I am missing ? or is this a known current problem
with Spice?

Thanks,

Ian Barron

General Manager