[Spice-devel] Performance over VPN

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Wed Dec 21 09:16:27 PST 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 17:28 +0100, Frédéric Grelot wrote:
> > This sounds like you have mouse in server mode. Install spice-vdagent
> > in
> > the guest, make sure it is running and pleaser report back if it
> > solved
> > things for you
>
> You can also (in addition to that) force image compression by adding the appropriate parameter in your libvirt configuration (provided you use libvirt). Check out libvirt XML format for more information.
> By default, spice should detect your bandwith and set up those parameters appropriately, but if you're in a VPN, these detection can be biased by the VPN compression. Forcing them solves the problem.

<snip>
We have also been trying to use SPICE to replace NX and RDP6 as a cross
platform, more video friendly protocol. Using the qxl drivers and
vdagent make it close but still not as fast as either NX or RDP6.
Although the difference is probably only milliseconds, it is perceivable
by end users.

I was unaware of VPN compression throwing off the compression parameters
although I do believe we tried hard setting them as well.

We are eagerly awaiting the further maturation of SPICE as we do see it
as potentially a superior protocol - John