[Spice-devel] smartcard usage

william kc at cobradevil.org
Thu Feb 24 07:28:13 PST 2011

On 02/24/2011 12:09 PM, Alon Levy wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:17:21AM +0100, kc at cobradevil.org wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> i have tried to get smartcard support running but i'm a bit lost :)
>> probably because it's not finished yet.
>>
>> we have smartcards with certificates like us dod and i would like to use
>> those from a client on a remote server for authentication and such.
>> I have followed the build instructions:
>> http://spice-space.org/page/Building_Instructions on a ubuntu system and
>> have managed to get those compiled.
>>
>> But when i try to start a vm with smartcard passthrough it asks me to give
>> a driver name?
>>
>> ./x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64 -chardev
>> socket,server,host=0.0.0.0,port=2001,id=ccid,nowait -device
>> ccid-card-passthru,chardev=ccid -drive
>> file=/var/lib/libvirt/images/test.img,if=ide -soundhw ac97 -L pc-bios
>> -nographic -vga qxl -spice port=5930,disable-ticketing  -usbdevice tablet
>> -enable-kvm -m 512
>>
>> do_spice_init: starting 0.6.3
>> spice_server_add_interface: SPICE_INTERFACE_KEYBOARD
>> spice_server_add_interface: SPICE_INTERFACE_MOUSE
>> spice_server_add_interface: SPICE_INTERFACE_QXL
>> red_worker_main: begin
>> spice_server_add_interface: SPICE_INTERFACE_RECORD
>> spice_server_add_interface: SPICE_INTERFACE_PLAYBACK
>> qemu-system-x86_64: -device ccid-card-passthru,chardev=ccid: Parameter
>> 'driver' expects a driver name
>> Try with argument '?' for a list.
>>
>> Am i starting the vm the right way or am i missing something?
> You are doing the right steps with the wrong qemu. To be explicit: qemu hasn't
> accepted the patches for the smartcard devices yet, so I don't know where you
> got the qemu executable but unless you built it by hand and applied the patches
> on the list, or easier used the pull url I provide in the patches I sent (like v20
> git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~alon/qemu usb_ccid.v20) you won't have them.
>
> Alon

Sorry for the priv mail :(
i can start the vm now with the usb_ccid.v19  git 20 gives me compile errors

./x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64 -chardev
socket,server,host=0.0.0.0,port=2001,id=ccid,nowait -device usb-ccid
-device ccid-card-passthru,chardev=ccid -drive
file=/var/lib/libvirt/images/test.img,if=ide  -soundhw ac97 -L pc-bios
-nographic -spice port=5930,disable-ticketing -usbdevice tablet
-enable-kvm -m 512 -device
virtio-net-pci,vlan=0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:f4:f5:0b -net user
do_spice_init: starting 0.7.3
spice_server_add_interface: SPICE_INTERFACE_KEYBOARD
spice_server_add_interface: SPICE_INTERFACE_MOUSE
spice_server_add_interface: SPICE_INTERFACE_RECORD
spice_server_add_interface: SPICE_INTERFACE_PLAYBACK
spice_server_add_interface: SPICE_INTERFACE_QXL
red_worker_main: begin
handle_dev_input: start

I also installed spice 0.7.3

When starting the spicec client i can connect but how can i share say a
local device now through spicec to the guest?
On the local client i can run pcsc_scan and it returns my reader and
detects my card, would that also be possible on the guest?

With kind regards

William