[Spice-devel] Unfair comparisons with RDP

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 06:00:32 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 1:04 PM, John A. Sullivan III  wrote:
> Interesting observation. That is true; we did not create separate VM
> definitions for SPICE and TSPlus thus the TSPlus environment is using
> the QXL driver.  Would we expect that to have any "supercharging" effect
> on RDP?

Probably not, because afaik (that is not so much ;-) Remote Desktop
(and probably tsplus too) works at the GDI call level, so it should
not depend so much on video adapter/video driver...
It was simply a question that arose analysing how to correctly
replicate comparisons...
Coming back to the test case and these operations:

rdp
17:             display desktop, i.e., minimize all open applications
42:             Paint existing LibreOffice document, i.e., restore from minimize

spice
61:             display desktop, i.e., minimize all open applications
92:             Paint existing LibreOffice document, i.e., restore from minimize

I think they are GDI ones, so that naturally when using rdp they are
executed locally on client desktop (only the gdi directives are sent),
while in spice (raster?) they will be network intensive (from a slow
link point of view).
So probably an optimized rdp could never be beaten on too slow links?

So my question is: could it be that instead of say spice vs tsplus in
general, we ought to go in determining what is the minimum necessary
bandwith to give the final user an acceptable experience (need to
define "acceptable" ;-) ?

Or, if I'm not wrong, as pcoip incorporates in some way both rdp and
raster capabilities so that it is able to "automatically" determine
what to use, the right way should be to do something similar for
spice?

Gianluca