[Spice-devel] Possible Windows vdagent problems

Arnon Gilboa agilboa at redhat.com
Mon Jul 4 23:44:29 PDT 2011

Hi John,
See my comments below.
Arnon

John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> Hello, all.  I'm spinning this off of the "Unfair Comparisons with RDP"
> thread as that one is getting a bit long.  However, in it, Yaniv
> identified that we were not using vdagent in our Windows guest based
> upon the packet traces we submitted.  That sounded plausible as we have
> noticed the agent being quite unstable.  We are often unable to connect
> or the session seems to die.  We then connect as administrator via RDP
> and restart the RHEV Spice Agent and all is well again.

Can you please be more specific with regards to "agent being quite
unstable"?
Please describe the problems, and we'll try to solve them.
> I was going to recompile it and reinstall however, after fighting all
> day long to compile the Windows client as I thought that would be an
> easier test of my Windows compilation prowess as I did not see explicit
> instructions for compiling vdagent, I realized that
> http://www.spice-space.org/download/binaries/vdagent-win32_20110428.zip
> did not contain source but only pre-compiled binaries!

I guess most of the zips in download/binaries, include only binaries.
You can find the agent sources at
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/win32/vd_agent/
> So then I thought our qemu configuration must be off or the needed
> options were not support in our version (0.8.8).  However, that does not
> appear to be the case:
>
>    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
>       <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x09' function='0x0'/>
>     </controller>
> [ports='16' seems to be missing - I tried adding it but it was ignored and subsequently removed]
>     <channel type='spicevmc'>
>       <target type='virtio' name='com.redhat.spice.0'/>
>       <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
>     </channel>
>
> When I dump the XML to native, I get:
> -device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x9
> -chardev spicevmc,id=charchannel0,name=vdagent
> -device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=com.redhat.spice.0

I run qemu with the following:
-device virtio-serial -chardev spicevmc,id=vdagent,debug=0,name=vdagent
-device virtserialport,chardev=vdagent,name=com.redhat.spice.0
> So what is wrong that we appear to not be using vdagent and why do we
> need to keep restarting it? Thanks - John

Please provide more details and we'll try to help.