[Spice-devel] Problems compiling SPICE Windows client SDK 7.1

Arnon Gilboa agilboa at redhat.com
Wed Jul 6 03:23:35 PDT 2011

John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> <snip>
> We've made considerable progress.  We do not have VS2008 as we are not a
> Windows shop and I assume in my Windows ignorance that that's a paid
> licensed product so we'd have track which of us could work on it and
> which couldn't so we've tried to make due with just the SDK.  That's
> actually working well.
>
> The syntax problems seem to be because we had downloaded python 3.2.  We
> removed that and installed Python 2.7 along with pyparsing.  It then
> complained it could not find spice/types.h.  I will pass that along in
> that it smells like a bug.  The instructions say to set
> SPICE_PROTOCOL_DIR but redc.vcproj never references it.  Rather than

SPICE_PROTOCOL_DIR is referenced in redc.vcproj in the lines:
AdditionalIncludeDirectories=".;..;$(SPICE_PROTOCOL_DIR)...
Sure you have set it to the full path of spice-protocol? close & open
your build env after that.
> fiddle with the code or project file, I simply moved the protocol
> directory to where it could find it in the include paths I did see in
> redc.vcproj.
>
> That worked a treat.  144 warnings but only one error:
>
>   c:\users\administrator\downloads\spice\spice-0.8.1\client\../common/marshaller.c(499):
> warning C4267: '=' : conversion from 'size_t' to 'uint32_t',
> possible loss of data [C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\spice\spice-0.8.1\client\windows\redc.vcxproj]
>

> "C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\spice\spice-0.8.1\client\windows\redc.vcxproj"
> (default target) (1) ->(ClCompile target) ->  ..\application.cpp(2300): error C2065:
>  'PACKAGE_VERSION' : undeclared identifier [C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\spice\spice-0.8.1\client\windows\redc.vcxproj]

This one, which broke windows build, was patched after 0.8.1, see
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/spice/log/?h=0.8
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/spice/commit/?h=0.8&id=31358b640be13c3b0955fc9acc1ad9526cc280ec