[Spice-devel] SPICE Fedora 15 guest X running at 100%

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Wed Jul 13 12:37:39 PDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 04:57 +0200, Alon Levy wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 04:29:50PM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > >
> > > Heh, seeing as windows support is much more advanced that is not quite how
> > > I'd put it. Certainly we are working on putting linux on equal footing, but
> > > the most work so far has gone into the windows driver, not the linux one.

> > > Maybe that seemed implied, but I didn't mean it like that. I just mentioned
> > > this in passing, that a kernel module doesn't exist. The main thing we could
> > > use a kernel module for is interrupt support. But spice works without that as
> > > well, since the communication is done asynchronously most of the time from
> > > host to guest (and this is the only place where an interrupt is useful - to
> > > wakeup the guest occasionally).

> > > Rendering is done on the client always. It is also done on the server if
> > > the guest requires the results of rendering, which can happen for instance
> > > when you do a print screen.

> > > Not the problem. The problem is simply in the X driver, and perhaps you can supply
> > > some more details to allow to reproduce the 100% cpu scenario?
> > <snip>
> > Hello, all.  This is still an issue for us.  What additional information
> > can we provide to help resolve this problem? Thanks - John
> >
> Well, I want to reproduce this, so I guess if you could point out something specific,
> what is the client hardware, which client are you running, what is the guest doing?
> Also, could you try both spicec and spicy/vinagre?
I created a Windows netbook and compiled spice client from 0.8.1.  I
connected to the Fedora 15 guest and still had the same excessive CPU
utilization with our very simple test of opening konsole to run top and
then opening kwrite.  I did not expect this would solve the problem basd
upon Alon's statement that it is a guest driver problem and I was not
disappointed! The problem remained.  Is there any further information I
can supply to help solve this problem? Thanks - John