[Spice-devel] Win32 Spice client won't start

Peter Daum gator_ml at yahoo.de
Tue Jul 19 09:39:21 PDT 2011

--- Peter Daum <gator_ml at yahoo.de> wrote Fr, 8.7.2011:

> I am trying to run the Win32 spice
> client on Windows XP SP3. In some cases it works, but
> normally the program terminates immediately without any
> indication what might go wrong. The only hint about what is
> happening are these entries in spicec.log:
>
> 1310140678 INFO [1676:1648] Platform::set_clipboard_owner:
> new clipboard owner: none
> 1310140678 INFO [1676:1648] PlatformWinProc: Unsupported
> clipboard format
> 1310140678 ERROR [1676:1648] WinMain: unhandle exception:
> set clipboard viewer failed
>
> The 1st 2 lines are always logged, even if the program works.
>
> Just copying the files from spice-space.org to the windows
> directory never worked. On 1 machine, I can run the spice
> client when I install it with this installation program:
> http://www.foss-cloud.org/download/spice-client-0.6.3-setup-2.exe
> but on all other machines this does not work either.
>
> Fascinatingly, the machines I tried it on have identical
> hardware and almost (some minor variations which programs
> are installed) identical software (freshly installed with a
> software management system).
>
> Any ideas what is going on?

... In the meantime, I could figure out the difference between the machines where the spice client works and those where it will immediately terminate. It seems like it indeed has something to do with the clipboard handling: In all cases where spicec.exe will actually start, there is some other program running that is doing something with the keyboard. If windows is actually running on a virtual machine this is almost always the case, so it works there.

On "real" machines however, I only can run the windows client (on Windows XP) if I additionally not only install, but actually execute some other program (the simplest such thing I could find is any of a variety of different clipboard managers or the like).

Are there any spice client binaries for Windows available somwhere, that work without such kludges?

Regards,
                  Peter